Common Causes of Boating Accidents
Residents and visitors alike flock to Rhode Island to enjoy miles of coastline and the illustrious boating opportunities that this state has to offer. Unfortunately, there are an abundance of boating accidents that occur in these waters every year.
An accident in an ocean, river, or lake can be a frightening experience. As far as worst case scenarios are concerned, a fatal accident can leave family members struggling to cope with the devastating and untimely loss of their loved ones.
The most common causes of boating accidents include:
- Individuals operating their boats while under the influence of alcohol or a controlled substance.
- Operator inattention, which is why it is important for those responsible to stay vigilant at all times and constantly monitor their boat.
- Lack of proper lookout who was designated to watch for hazards or threats.
- Unsafe operations, including excessive speeds, changing direction too quickly, and operators taking charge of the boat without proper experience or training.
- Negligent boat maintenance since boats need to be properly maintained in order to ensure that they are in sufficient, working condition at all times.
- Inexperience is a significant factor in many boating accidents
- Distractions such as cell phones and watching others in the water
- Dangerous waters since conditions in the water can change within several minutes or so
- Weather conditions such as storms
If you or a loved one has been injured in a boating accident caused by another party’s negligent actions, you are eligible to seek compensation for damages as a result of the accident. At Inman & Tourgee, our Rhode Island personal injury attorneys are dedicated to helping victims and families better understand their legal rights and options.
Contact us and request a free consultation today.