I Was Hit by an Uninsured Driver, What Can I Do?

Posted by April Picozzi | Jul 19, 2017 | 0 Comments

Car accidents can easily happen, but when they do, you shouldn't have to worry about receiving compensation for your injuries and property damage. Legally, all drivers must be insured, but there are still drivers that do not have insurance. If you are in an accident with an uninsured driver, you may be worried about what will happen. Learn what you can do after an accident with an uninsured motorist.


In Rhode Island, insurers must offer policyholders the option of purchasing uninsured or underinsured motorist (UIM) coverage. Drivers may decline to purchase coverage, but UIM coverage can be an important protection for drivers. If you are hit by an uninsured, underinsured, or hit-and-run driver, this coverage can help pay for your medical bills and property damage expenses.

Generally, your UIM coverage cannot exceed the amount of your standard liability coverage. Making sure you have plenty of coverage is an important protection to help you in the event of an accident with an uninsured motorist. Often, companies limit the amount of time you have to make an uninsured or underinsured motorist claim, so it is important to start your claim as soon as you learn that the other driver doesn't have adequate insurance to cover your damages.


This type of coverage can be used to help cover your property damages if you are in an accident with an uninsured driver. Collison coverage will not pay for your medical expenses, but it can be used to repair the damage to your vehicle after the accident.


If you don't have UIM or collision coverage, you may need to file a lawsuit to recover damages for your accident. In Rhode Island, you can file a lawsuit against the other driver. You will need to prove that the other driver was at fault, and you will need to gain a judgment against them. Even if you are successful, there is no guarantee that you will be able to recover any compensation for your accident. Often, uninsured or underinsured motorists may not have much in the way of assets, so it can be impossible to collect damages. Unfortunately, a lawsuit may be a losing battle.


If you have been in an accident with an uninsured or underinsured driver, you should seek help from our Rhode Island car accident lawyers. At Inman & Tourgee, we have a comprehensive knowledge of your rights and we are backed by more than 125 collective years of experience. Our team is committed to giving our clients personalized attention and maintaining open communication. We are your partners in this trying time.

Contact our firm at (401) 229-5521 for a free consultation.

About the Author

April Picozzi

PUBLIC ADJUSTER / OPERATIONS & FINANCE MANAGER April M. Picozzi joined the firm in 2013 as a licensed Independent Adjuster and legal assistant to Mark D. Tourgee, Esq. She handles all aspects of personal injury claims including client intake, maintaining client files, negotiating settlements and assi...


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment


Aenean lacinia bibendum nulla sed consectetur. Donec sed odio dui. Maecenas sed diam eget risus varius blandit sit amet non magna. Nulla vitae elit libero, a pharetra augue. Curabitur blandit tempus porttitor. Morbi leo risus, porta ac consectetur ac, vestibulum at eros. Cras justo odio, dapibus ac facilisis in, egestas.