What if My Slip and Fall Accident Made My Pre-Existing Injury Worse?

Posted by April Picozzi | Dec 29, 2022 | 0 Comments

It can be a frightening experience to unknowingly slip on a wet floor in a grocery store or an uneven sidewalk. These accidents can happen anywhere at any time and literally sweep you off your feet.

Victims of slip and fall accidents can suffer serious and debilitating injuries. But these accidents can also worsen pre-existing conditions. If a slip-and-fall has aggravated an existing injury, you may still be able to recover fair compensation for medical bills and other losses. 

Common Slip and Fall Injuries

Slip and fall accidents can cause or worsen a variety of injuries. Some of the most common include:

  • Back and neck injuries such as broken bones or slipped disks
  • Head injuries, including concussions and traumatic brain injuries (TBI)
  • Pelvic injuries, such as broken hips or cracked pelvises, especially in the elderly
  • Torn tendons and ligaments, often suffered when trying to catch yourself while falling

Some medical conditions, such as arthritis, diabetes, fibromyalgia, or cardiovascular disease, can be aggravated by a slip and fall injury.

What Should I Do If I Slip and Fall and Worsen an Injury?

If you or someone you care about has been injured in a slip and fall accident, there are steps you should follow in order to build the best possible legal case for compensation:

  1. Seek medical attention
    If you've been hurt after a fall, it is important to get checked out by a doctor to document the extent of your injuries.
  1. Report the accident
    Ask the manager, owner, or landlord at the property where the accident occurred to take a written account of the accident and request a copy before leaving.
  1. Take your own notes
    Document everything you have. Get names of witnesses and photograph the exact location the slip and fall occurred. Store the clothes that were worn by the victim in a safe place as they may be needed as evidence at a later date.
  1. Limit communication
    Don't give a statement to the property owner or manager, or the company's insurance company, until you have consulted with a personal injury attorney. And don't post details of the accident on social media.
  1. Contact a slip and fall lawyer
    Slip and fall cases can be complex matters. Having a personal injury attorney on your side can help you recover fair compensation.

Slip and Fall Lawyer

If you've been in a slip and fall accident and it worsened a pre-existing injury, you may have the right to compensation. An experienced personal injury attorney can help. Contact Inman & Tourgee online or call (401) 823-9200 to discuss your legal options today.

About the Author

April Picozzi

PUBLIC ADJUSTER / OPERATIONS & FINANCE MANAGER April M. Picozzi joined the firm in 2013 as a licensed Independent Adjuster and legal assistant to Mark D. Tourgee, Esq. She handles all aspects of personal injury claims including client intake, maintaining client files, negotiating settlements and assi...


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment


Aenean lacinia bibendum nulla sed consectetur. Donec sed odio dui. Maecenas sed diam eget risus varius blandit sit amet non magna. Nulla vitae elit libero, a pharetra augue. Curabitur blandit tempus porttitor. Morbi leo risus, porta ac consectetur ac, vestibulum at eros. Cras justo odio, dapibus ac facilisis in, egestas.