What Happens When You’re Injured by a Driver Without Insurance?

Posted by April Picozzi | Jul 21, 2020 | 0 Comments

Being in a car accident with another vehicle can be downright terrifying. In addition to the potential physical and emotional trauma, you may also experience unfortunate financial ramifications — especially if the driver who hit and injured you doesn't have automotive insurance.

Unfortunately, Rhode Island is among the states with the highest percentage of uninsured motorists at 15%. At this point, visions of mounting medical and car repair bills may be dancing in your head, and understandably so. To avoid getting to that point, though, the best thing you can do right now is to secure uninsured motorist insurance.

Uninsured Motorist Insurance

Uninsured motorist insurance is an add-on to your policy that protects you in the event that you are involved in an accident with a driver who doesn't have auto insurance. To best illustrate why uninsured motorist insurance is a good idea, let's look at your options for recovering money if you don't have it.

One option is to sue the at-fault driver. If you are in a hit-and-run, this isn't even a choice at all. Even if you know the driver, though, the chances of a full recovery could be slim, not only because you have to prove fault – and that is not a given – but also because the driver may not have the financial resources to satisfy any court judgment entered against them.

Another option depending on the circumstances of your accident may be to pursue a lawsuit against the entity that maintained the road if there was something defective about its design or maintenance that caused your accident. Lawsuits such as these against the government are notoriously difficult to win, however.

Note that uninsured motorist insurance also protects you if your injuries or damages exceed the limits of the other driver's insurance policies. In this case, your own insurance may be able to pick up those excess costs.

Having uninsured motorist insurance is truly your best defense against financial ruin if you are involved in an accident with an uninsured driver. If you've been in an accident with a driver who doesn't have insurance, contact Inman & Tourgee online or call (401) 823-9200 to discuss your legal options.

About the Author

April Picozzi

PUBLIC ADJUSTER / OPERATIONS & FINANCE MANAGER April M. Picozzi joined the firm in 2013 as a licensed Independent Adjuster and legal assistant to Mark D. Tourgee, Esq. She handles all aspects of personal injury claims including client intake, maintaining client files, negotiating settlements and assi...


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment


Aenean lacinia bibendum nulla sed consectetur. Donec sed odio dui. Maecenas sed diam eget risus varius blandit sit amet non magna. Nulla vitae elit libero, a pharetra augue. Curabitur blandit tempus porttitor. Morbi leo risus, porta ac consectetur ac, vestibulum at eros. Cras justo odio, dapibus ac facilisis in, egestas.