That Confusing Sign Caused My Crash! Is Your City or State Liable?

Posted by April Picozzi | Sep 08, 2022 | 0 Comments

Car accidents happen. That's why we call them “accidents,” and we all understand that an accident is one of the risks of driving on roads. But when an accident was avoidable or caused by confusing or incorrect signs, it can be frustrating. In some cases, the municipality or state can even be liable for damages caused by confusing signs within their responsibility.

There are some situations where confusing roadway signs are more likely to cause accidents.

  1. Wrong-Way Accidents

Wrong-way accidents are fairly common in Rhode Island. According to the Federal Highway Administration, 300 to 400 roadway fatalities happen across the country each year because of wrong-way driving. While many wrong-way accidents result from a physically impaired driver, they can also happen when signs are missing, confusing, or simply wrong. The most common wrong-way driving situation involves a driver entering a highway or interstate exit instead of the entrance. Entering an exit can easily happen when the entrance and exits are close together, and signs beside the road don't clearly and definitively identify the exit, particularly at night when there aren't many cars on the road with you.

  1. Covered or Broken Signs

Broken, missing, or ajar signs that the city or state hasn't yet replaced can also cause accidents. It's typically the city or state's responsibility to replace, repair, or mark road signs causing dangerous conditions immediately. If a sign is knocked ajar or has fallen over, the lack of signage can easily cause an accident.

  1. Construction Zones

Construction zones are another area where confusing signage can happen. According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, more than 80,000 traffic accidents happen annually in construction work zones across the country. Often confusing or improperly placed signs and pylons and road markers that don't clearly mark lanes can lead to accidents. In these cases, the contractor, subcontractor, municipality, or even the state may bear some liability.  

If you or a loved one were injured in a car accident you believe was caused by confusing, missing, or broken signs, you need to speak with a skilled Rhode Island personal injury attorney. We may be able to help. Give Inman & Tourgee a call at 401-823-9200 or contact us online to set up a consultation.

About the Author

April Picozzi

PUBLIC ADJUSTER / OPERATIONS & FINANCE MANAGER April M. Picozzi joined the firm in 2013 as a licensed Independent Adjuster and legal assistant to Mark D. Tourgee, Esq. She handles all aspects of personal injury claims including client intake, maintaining client files, negotiating settlements and assi...


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment


Aenean lacinia bibendum nulla sed consectetur. Donec sed odio dui. Maecenas sed diam eget risus varius blandit sit amet non magna. Nulla vitae elit libero, a pharetra augue. Curabitur blandit tempus porttitor. Morbi leo risus, porta ac consectetur ac, vestibulum at eros. Cras justo odio, dapibus ac facilisis in, egestas.